Plymouth Dance connects, creates and celebrates dance in the city. Our mission is to engage people and communities within Plymouth with the transformational power of dance and to connect, create and celebrate dance in Plymouth by delivering citywide partnership projects that use dance as a vehicle for individual, cultural, organisational and social change.
Why the community needs us
We create and deliver the most exciting, innovative and accessible dance offer for our community. So many people don't have access to the transformational benefits of dance as part of their everyday life: such as the freedom to create; the opportunity to improve mental, physical and emotional health and well-being, whilst decreasing social isolation and exclusion. We know that it's vital that more people and communities have opportunities to watch, be part of and perform dance.
Our impact on the community
- A total of 23,445 people have participated in Plymouth Dance workshops and events since 2009.
- 109 young people have volunteered for Plymouth Dance since the volunteering scheme began in 2014, logging 2,207 volunteering hours in total.
- Tea Dances with a Twist! is an intergenerational and inclusive social dance event that has attracted people aged 3.5 weeks to 104 years old. A total of 7,815 people have participated in our TDT events and TDT branch projects since 2016.
- Plymouth Dance has engaged 1,438 local, national and international artists and practitioners since 2009.
- Audiences for Plymouth Dance projects have ranged from 300 to 55,000.
- Over 13 years, Plymouth Dance has invested in excess of £1.27m into the city; 26% through trusts and charities, 50% through Arts Council England and 24% through earned income and commissions.
- Plymouth Dance is a member of the Plymouth Social Enterprise Network.